Keeping it Safe

Of course we want you to have lots of fun when fundraising for Children’s Heart Surgery Fund, but it’s also very important you keep everything safe and legal.

Things to consider:

If you’re holding an event in a public place, you must get permission first, either from the local authority or the property owner.

Please remember that although we’re here to help you organise and plan, you are responsible for your activity or event and Children’s Heart Surgery Fund is unable to accept liability.

That’s why we would recommend you take out public liability for event’s such as sponsored walks, family fun day’s or sports events.

If you are holding your event at a specific venue check if they are covered and whether it would cover you also.

We also recommend that you ask your local authority whether or not you need to obtain any special licences for your event.

Some things require a licence, such as:

  • alcohol or entertainment, including recorded music
  • certain types of raffle, lottery or auction
  • doing a public money collection
  • putting up banners or signs in public areas.

Our advice is to contact your local authority to check which licences you will need.

There is also more information at

Whether you’re selling cupcakes or putting on a BBQ, food safety laws will apply.

Check in with the Food Standards Agency at for more information, just to be safe.

If you are holding an event involving a large number of people it’s a good idea to have first aid supplies on hand.

You can get advice from St John Ambulance or the Red Cross.