Notable achievements in 2016
Children’s Heart Surgery Fund have had a great 2016, thanks to you, the wider CHSF team and all the staff at the Leeds Congenital Heart Unit.
We’ve all but reached halfway in our Keeping The Beat campaign, hosted numerous fundraising events (including Wear Red Day which raised over £36k alone) and made friends with a host of inspirational patients and their families.
Here’s just some of the projects, people, facilities and equipment we’ve funded this year.
- 30 INR testing Kits
- A Telemedicine link between the Neonatal Unit at Bradford Royal Infirmary and the Paediatric Cardiology dept at LGI
- A Paediatric resuscitation trolley for Cardiac and Neuro Outpatients Department
- 10 Fitbit Flex monitors & 10 Fitbit Aria Scales for ACHD patients trying to lose weight
- 30 pedometers to monitor and progress exercise for children and adults with congenital heart disease used by Special Cardiac Physiotherapists
- 64 AliveCor devices that stick to a mobile phone to record an adult patients ECG when they are having symptoms
Facilities for Ward 51:
- Annual renewal of maintaining fish tank on Ward L51
- Supply of water machines for patients and staff on PICU and Ward 51
- 10 bottle warmers for parents to heat up milk for their baby and 10 electronic kitchen scales used to weigh nappies on critically ill babies to ensure they are drinking enough fluid
- Reward stickers to give to cardiac children inpatients
- Bright coloured folders that are used daily by bedsides on Ward L51 containing important information about the children
- Craft materials for therapeutic sessions with children for surgery preparations carried out by the clinical psychologist
- IPad Air and case for use by heart children having procedures or going to be anaesthetised in the cath lab or theatre (as a distraction tool)
- Reward stickers to give to children for talking in therapeutic sessions carried out by the Clinical Psychologist
- Holistic parent expenses for 27 families
- Funding of Clinical Psychologist for one year to provide clinical psychology services to the Congenital Cardiac service
- Travel, accommodation and fees for clinicians, physios and psychologist to attend important conferences
Upkeep of other hospital areas:
- Creation of a designated adolescent seating area in the Cardiac/Neuro waiting area
- Chairs and wall art for waiting area, counselling and scan rooms for Fetal Cardiology
- Sofa, armchairs and cushions to provide a comfortable room for parents when they are being given sensitive information following a heart scan
- Design and supply a pull up banner and 500 folders for the young persons area within Cardiac and Neuro outpatients
We’re really proud of our achievements in 2016, and you should be too.
Bigger challenges lay ahead, and we look forward to seeing you all in 2017 to help support the Leeds Congenital Heart Unit.
Author: Andy McNally
Date Posted: December 30, 2016
- Askern Music Fest are partnering with Children’s Heart Surgery Fund
- Your funding has helped detect congenital heart conditions early
- Fundraiser Of The Month: Alison Austin
- Where your money goes
- Fundraiser Of The Month: Adam Broadbent
- NHS England give Heart Unit the official green light
- Our new ambassador Dickie Bird
- What Do Trustees Mean To Children’s Heart Surgery Fund?
- Guest Blog: Why icelolly.com Support CHSF
- Marie Lees: Fundraiser of the Month